fall is my favorite season of the year. the cold crisp air, leaves turning color, and… pumpkins! i’m definitely a fan of all things pumpkin. pie, pudding, ice cream, and of course, cupcakes!
I started out with relish magazine’s recipe for pumpkin cupcakes.
it was my first time using a recipe from relish and I was honestly not that impressed. the cupcakes ended up being nicely shaped but pretty dry. who likes a dry cupcake? not me!
since the first batch were disappointing I ended up trying to make a second batch of cupcakes. this time I used a tried and true recipe. during my first “real” job out of college, my manager brought the best pumpkin bread to a company potluck. when I asked him about the bread his eyes lit up. “pumpkin bread is my specialty! I’ll bring you the recipe tomorrow.” true to his word he showed up the next day with a recipe card for me to copy. several jobs (and years) later, ted’s pumpkin bread recipe is still my favorite.
*****************************************
ted’s pumpkin bread
1 tsp baking soda
¾ tsp salt
1 ½ cups sugar
1 ¾ cups flour
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cloves
1/8 tsp ground ginger
½ cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup water
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 eggs
preheat oven to 325 degrees.
sift together baking soda, salt, sugar, flour, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. in a separate bowl mix together oil, water, and pumpkin puree. blend dry ingredients into pumpkin mixture. blend in two eggs. pour into a 5X9 loaf pan and bake for approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes.
************************************************
I only made a small alteration to the recipe to make cupcakes. instead of a loaf pan, I used soufflé cups filled just slightly less than halfway leaving room for the frosting topper and baked them for 25 minutes.
the decoration idea was inspired by kuidaore’s post about her recent tea party. after frosting the cupcake using chockylit’s recipe for thick cream cheese frosting (with a tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice mixed in), i topped the cupcake with a marzipan flower made with my new cookie cutter set.
some recipes just never fail you! =)

4 comments:
cute marzipan flowers!
these looks good, me heading to buy pumpkin now. thanks for sharing.
I just made this recipe as cupcakes with two kids that I nanny for- the recipe was super easy to follow and foolproof, I thought, considering there was a 5 and a 7 year old doing all of the mixing! We all happily shared one each and they are very very good- I wish I could find a banana bread recipe that is just as moist and flavorful as this pumpkin bread recipe. Thanks!
thanks for all the nice comments!
i love quick and easy recipes. especially the ones that taste good! hahaha... if a 5 and 7 year old can follow the recipe then i guess it qualifies as easy. =)
Post a Comment